Keeping your swimming pool clean isn’t supposed to be a tiring task. Gone are the days when the sight of few debris or leaves sinking in our swimming pool scared us big time. Suction pool cleaners have made it a worthwhile experience to clean your pool at any day and anytime with zero hassle. With that said, getting the best suction pool cleaner isn’t a walk in the park but here is a guide to help you.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Suction Pool Cleaner Buyer’s Guide
- 2 The 3 Types of Pool Cleaners
- 3 What is a suction pool cleaner?
- 4 Why Choose a Suction Pool Cleaner?
- 5 What Should You Consider When Buying Your Suction Pool Cleaner?
- 6 How Does a Suction Pool Cleaner Work?
- 7 What Might Go Wrong With Your Suction Pool Cleaner?
- 8 Top 5 Suction Pool Cleaner Reviews
- 8.1 BARACUDA G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Auto Pool Cleaner
- 8.2 Hayward 500 Aquabug Suction Above-Ground Auto Pool Cleaner
- 8.3 Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-020 The Pool Cleaner Auto Suction Pool Cleaner
- 8.4 Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Inground Pool Cleaner
- 8.5 Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Pool Cleaner
- 9 Conclusion
The Best Suction Pool Cleaner Buyer’s Guide
Cleaning your swimming pool even how big it is isn’t a huge problem. While the customary methods had you manually removing and scrubbing dirt one by one, modern cleaning enables you to choose through three main common methods: Robotic, Pressure, and Suction cleaning.
Sounds rather amazing? Perhaps it’s, as it offers you cleaning your swimming pool with the luxury of effort and time.
The 3 Types of Pool Cleaners
Pressure Pool Cleaner
It is called Pressure Pool Cleaner because it uses pressure to clean your swimming pool from twigs, bugs, leaves, and debris. The pressure comes from a pump and goes directly to a bag making this unit easy to maintain.
Robotic Pool Cleaner
It uses an electric motor to function and is fitted with a built-in filter and pump for a more effective cleaning. Some even feature computer programs and chip that enable them to use a remote control in adjusting setting and navigation for a better cleaning experience.
Suction Pool Cleaner (this is what we are concerned about).
As the name suggests, a suction pool cleaner works by sucking up dirt found in your swimming pool by using the primary filtration pump.
What is a suction pool cleaner?
A suction pool cleaner is a unit that connects to the suction area (the pipes and fitting that take water from your pool to be cleaned or filtered) of your plumbing system. In most cases, this is usually the pool skimmer, though some facilities have a vacuum line.
This cleaner works like a vacuum installed to your swimming pool filter system. The unit travels along the bottom and walls of your pool and sucks up debris and dirt as it travels.
Why Choose a Suction Pool Cleaner?
All three cleaner definitely display handy pool cleaning adventure. While they differ in the way they sweep off all types of dirt, the suction pool cleaner might be the best choice for these reasons:
1. Hassle-free Operation
This type of cleaner is easy to assemble and to use. While the same might be true of the other two, a suction cleaner has the least moving parts installed. It does not necessarily need a lot of accessories for it to function effectively. And due to this, it follows too that it’s easy to assemble – perhaps 15 minutes or less and you are ready to get started with your cleaning.
2. Less Labor Intensive
Judging by how it operates, this cleaner requires less energy from you as you only need to turn it on and it will do the rest – sucking sand, leaves, dirt, and other debris in your swimming pool, even climb the walls. All the dirt will automatically go via the hose or pipe to the filter system. It is that simple and quite effective in cleaning tiny particles.
3. Easy to Maintain
Ease of maintenance is brought by the fact that the cleaner doesn’t feature many accessories; therefore, fewer replacements required when something breaks down and fewer parts to keep up. Additionally, this means less cleaning to do and fewer repair.
4. Efficient Operation
You will be glad to hear that a suction pool cleaner will clean your entire swimming pool efficiently and effectively saving your efforts and time to do other projects. It guarantees to clean all types of debris and may cover any type of pool surface, doesn’t matter whether it’s small or big.
Among the 3 types of pool cleaners, the suction cleaner is considered to be the most affordable because it has the least utility bills and the simplest operation.
What Should You Consider When Buying Your Suction Pool Cleaner?
Now that you are ready to purchase a suction pool cleaner to make your swimming pool sparkling clean and fresh for your next swimming session, you might need to check out these features first to ensure that you get an idea of what is the best suction pool cleaner on the market:
1. Size of Your Pool
Choosing which suction cleaner to purchase should depend on the size of your facility it has to cover. This will ensure that you have an efficient and maximum use of your device as there are models that are specifically constructed for larger surface (bigger than ordinary pools) and to carry out heavy duty. They have extra components and features to make them work proficiently and faster.
2. Pool Surface
Pool surface is also necessary to consider as some cleaners might not be perfect to use in certain types of materials. While there are various types of pool surfaces including vinyl, fiberglass, concrete, and gunite, there are suction cleaners that won’t accommodate all these kinds, hence ensure that you pick the one that will work for your pool.
3. Types of Debris
While suction pool cleaners are used to clean pools from all kinds of debris, there are models that are made to work best on limited or specific kinds. For example, if you are cleaning large leaves and twigs, some models might not be as effective as others that are designed to deal with large debris without leading to interruptions or clogs during operation. Some bacteria and algae are also known to be stubborn and hard to remove, hence some models might not be effective.
4. Filtration and Pump System
Suction pool cleaners work essentially with the pool’s filtration and pump system, hence before you decide, it’s recommended you check if your system has enough power to drive the cleaner. This unit doesn’t work without the right filter, and by ignoring this, you might just waste your energy and money buying one.
How Does a Suction Pool Cleaner Work?
This type of cleaner is driven by pressure from your pool’s pump system. In addition, it usually follows these steps:
- First, the pump system sucks water from different parts of your pool through different pipes. This water is driven through the pipes by a pump. It gets through the pipes and into the filter or sieve.
- The sieve agitates it back out through other pipes, often concentrated in another part of your swimming pool. These steps keep your pool clean and fresh.
- A suction pool cleaner plugs effectively into the pool’s system. The pump creates suction, which creates a vacuum to drive the cleaner around your pool.
Here is a video that shows how a suction pool cleaner works.
What Might Go Wrong With Your Suction Pool Cleaner?
Take a keen look at these common problems that might go wrong with your suction cleaner:
- Your unit isn’t moving – First, check its hose to ensure that it is well fixed to the pump-line in the skimmer. In addition, check the hose section to ensure that there is no air-leak where the sections meet. You should also check the diaphragm for tears or stretching or blockages.
- Your unit is too slow – The biggest cause might be a congested pool skimmer-basket, filter, or a clog at the intake-part at the bottom of your suction pool cleaner. Cleaning this part requires you to flip the unit over underwater and looking into it. Furthermore, you should ensure that there are no barriers in the hose and all links are secure and firms. Then you may wash you pump basket, skimmer basket, and pool filter.
- Your unit is too fast – If you have an exceptionally powerful pump or the water-flow is quite fast, your suction cleaner will definitely move faster than usual. Many units come with a speed-control valve that enables you to control and manage the flow. Adjust this valve for the right pressure.
- Your unit inst covering the entire swimming pool – This might seem a bit complex but the easiest way out is to check the hose length. If the hose is too short, add an extra hose. If the hose isn’t the problem, check the user’s manual for mild modifications to the cleaner or hose.
- Air bubbles are popping at the return line – This might be a result of an air-leak in the connections or hose. A punctured hose or ill-fitted connections will cause the air to leak into the system forming bubbles at the return wall-fitting. Another thing you may do is to check the vacuum and hose connections for air leaks, replace the faulty hose, and tighten the vacuum connection.
- You have hose issues – If the hose has a habit of getting too kinked when you clean your pool, it might be a result of incorrect storage. For example, if it wasn’t well wrapped while in the store the plastic will remain in that position. To solve this, lay your hose outside during a hot day and try to straighten it.
- The base of your pool isn’t getting cleaned – If your unit is moving at the required speed and in unsystematic ways, but still cleaning your pool bottom, it could be damaged or worn brushes or suctions-vents at the base of the cleaner. Hence, change the brushes and vents if your pool bottom looks grimy.
- The system does not come up to pressure – This might occur due to various reasons such as power and motor not matching, leaking suction, and possible obstructions. Ensure you use the right power, fix all the leaks, and clean the filter.
- The suction side of your pool cleaner gets filled with dirt or leaves – Some automatic pool cleaners, especially suction pool cleaners aren’t ideal for cleaning large debris and leaves.
- The auto bypass valve has collapsed – Something might be stuck under your cleaner. You need to switch off the cleaner and then remove the blockage through cleaning and backwashing the filter and even cleaning the pump basket.
- Pool cleaner doesn’t climb the wall – Your unit’s float position might require modification.
- Your cleaner climbs the wall too much or out of the pool – You need to control the pressure and change the tire skirts or treads – they might be worn out.
Your pool clean floats above the pool floor – Ensure that it doesn’t contain air, the hose reaches the furthest part of the pool, and the return-jet is not distressing your suction pool cleaner or hose.
Top 5 Suction Pool Cleaner Reviews
BARACUDA G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Auto Pool Cleaner
BARACUDA G3 Pool Cleaner for inground pools is made of tough material and is said to be constructed with high-quality premium materials. It’s expected to last for decades since there is just one main part you will need to replace over the years. This will ensure that you save your money as you enjoy years of services from this pool cleaner.
When it comes to its usability, you will be glad to hear that it’s an auto cleaner that is made to clean without your intervention. Hence, you don’t need to be present when it is cleaning your pool – it is a great time saver if you are a fan of DIY projects.
The automatic feature doesn’t mean that it does a shoddy job. In fact, although this pool cleaner has some great features, one of its main one is the job that it accomplishes. It cleans the sides, the bottom, the corners, and the stairs of your swimming pool thoroughly. So, you will be satisfied with the cleaning that it does to keep your pool clean as well as fresh for you, your family, and pals to use.
BARACUDA G3 W03000 Auto Pool Cleaner
- Powerful suction cleaner, quiet, and work with low-speed pumps for max efficiency.
- Consumes small debris and cleans surface, steps, and walls of your pool.
- FlowKeeper Valve automatically controls water flow to sustain peak cleaning performance even with low horsepower pumps.
- Superb wheel deflector for moving around sharp corners.
- Easy installation to save time.
Hayward 500 Aquabug Suction Above-Ground Auto Pool Cleaner
Hayward is a top rated brand in the pool industry. This auto pool cleaner provides a hands-free cleaning session to ensure that you get the time to do other chores. Its auto cleaning feature also ensures that you don’t have to maneuver cords and hoses to clean your pool – which could be a risk to passersby and small children.
Its design, the countered head, enables the cleaner to finish the cleaning process within a short time as it allows the aqua bag to steer easily. Another awesome feature you will enjoy when you get this cleaner for above ground pools is the patented SmartDrive technology. This tech ensures that the bottom of your pool is cleaned quickly and fast. The model is especially efficient and quick.
If you wish to buy this unit but aren’t sure of how you will assemble it, do not be afraid. This is an easy to install vacuum cleaner and it takes about 15 minutes and you are ready to start cleaning your swimming pool.
Hayward 500 Auto Pool Cleaner
- Unique gearing/turbine system offers steady balanced water flow assuring gentle movement and quiet operation across your pool bottom.
- Latest countered head construction enables the steering pattern to be easy.
- Easy to assemble within 15 minutes, without tools.
- 1-year warranty to guarantee you of the developer’s trust.
- Deluxe bumper ring for minimizing friction for better movement away from walls.
Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-020 The Pool Cleaner Auto Suction Pool Cleaner
This suction pool cleaner can go deep and long, cleaning the deepest parts of your pool and the entire surface of large swimming pools. It is also able to clean irregularly shaped facilities, long ones, and deep ones that corded cleaners cannot quite complete.
It can pass over any surface, perfect for you if you need to clean a concrete surface due to its added traction. Hayward Poolvergnuegen also passes over swimming pool drain covers with little problem. This is made possible by the fact that you can adjust its blades to the level you want if the default level isn’t good.
The unit works with older pools that don’t feature a built-in suction line and its flexible vanes enable large particles to pass through making it perfect for leaves and debris. Its tire treads last for decades and the wheels’ treads feature indicators to inform you when they are worn out.
The other notable features that you will notice about this unit are that it’s quite cheap given its performance and is pretty quiet.
Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-020 Auto Pool Cleaner
- 4-wheel drive cleans pools with deep ends and larger ones.
- Patented self-changing turbine vanes offer max power at any flow and enable passage of huge debris.
- Multiple pre-programmed internal steering to ensure full swimming pool coverage.
- Patented changeable roller skirt for maximum suction on rough surfaces.
- Patented tire treads for improved climbing and impediment management.
Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Inground Pool Cleaner
Having a pool in your yard is great but the same isn’t true when it comes to cleaning it. However, with this unit, you will enjoy the ideal combination of tech and fun. It features a bristle drive to ensure that it cleans deep while dislodging tough dirt and tiny pebbles making it perfect for pebbles tec.
It cleans and vacuums inground pool and incline, hopper, and dish pool bottoms with ease. Even amazing, it features a 15 inches cleaning path, meaning that it will clean, vacuum, and scrub both the floors and the walls of your swimming pool. Its bristle drive is UV protected to ensure that it offers you exceptional performance and is maintenance free.
When it comes to cleaning and scrubbing surfaces, this unit isn’t biased. It will clean any size and shape of your pool regardless whether it’s pattern type if fiberglass, vinyl, cement, or tile. This cleaner for comes with a 32 ft long hose as well as a revolutionary design.
To make it better, the unit is the only auto cleaner that features double rows of directional bristles that break down both small and large debris and loosen dirt. And it is lightweight to ensure that you move it with ease.
Pentair GW9500 Pool Cleaner
- Auto in-ground pool cleaner.
- Cleans vinyl, gunite, fiberglass, and other surfaces in a 15 inches path.
- Vacuum port door fitting features a spring-loaded lid for safety.
- Unique turning mechanism facilitates escape from difficult surface.
Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Pool Cleaner
You will find Zodiac MX8 suction-Side Cleaner being reviewed in most suction pool cleaner reviews due to its superb features. The unit comes well-equipped with the maX-Drive latest dual navigation for the best pool coverage with no downtime. The unit effectively cleans the floor, waterlines, and walls no matter the size of your swimming pool or shape.
Furthermore, the cleaner does a great job on a tile, concrete, fiberglass, and vinyl pool. The dual cyclonic vacuum tech that it features is amazing as it provides a max suction power and it allows it to climb the walls of your swimming pool, quickly and easily. This tech also offers a wider cleaning area and the biggest dirt intake.
To make it even better, the cleaner comes equipped with a Flex-Power turbine, which is pretty innovative and which allow ultra-efficient operation on limited flow with zero interruption. It also comes with X-Trax tires that provide an amazing climbing and maneuverability performance, even in tight corners or on vertical walls.
Zodiac MX8 Pool Cleaner
- Cyclonic vacuum tech ensures the unit captures max debris while maintaining max cleaning power.
- X-Drive tech offers advanced dual movement for best swimming pool coverage with no downtime.
- X-Trax tires offer extreme climbing and maneuverability performance, even on vertical walls and in tight corners.
- Operates in all in-ground
- Ultra-efficient power source offers max torque whilst operating at low flow.
Based on its performance, unique features, and power BARACUDA G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Auto Pool Cleaner is our choice of the best suction pool cleaner. It can clean small, medium, and large debris and areas of all surfaces conveniently and easily. It also happens to be the best in ground suction pool cleaner.